MAKE IT SAFE CAMPAIGN
Since its launch, the Make It Safe campaign has pressed for safer window blinds and the promotion of safety for all window treatments.
As an accredited member of the BBSA we have been closely involved in the Make It Safe campaign and the changes required in the way internal blinds are made, sold and professionally installed.
When the regulations are implemented it will place a legal responsibility on all suppliers and professional installers to:
- Provide safety devices to reduce the risk of any cords or chains forming a hazardous loop.
- Test all safety critical items of internal blinds
- Test blinds using safety devices
- Observe maximum cord and chain lengths
- Provide specific warnings and instructions
- Provide information on packaging and at point of sale
- Fit safety devices when professionally installing blinds
There are extensive ranges of products that are safe by design, meaning that they do not use operating cords or chains or have concealed or tensioned cords. We strongly recommend that these products are always considered first when you are buying new blinds for homes or public buildings.
If you require blinds that have operating cords or chains please note the new regulations will mean cord and chain lengths are determined by the European standard, and where a safety device is needed we will have to install the device, by law.
Making existing blinds safer
There are a range of safety devices which have been tested to the new mandatory standards and can help to make existing blinds safer. There are options for virtually every style of blind so you do not have to wait until you change your blind to make it safer.
General safety advice
- If fitting blinds yourself,make sure that you follow the installation instructions carefully and make sure any safety devices supplied are correctly installed
- Do not place your child’s cot, bed, highchair or playpen near to a window blind
- Make sure all cords and chains are always secured out of reach of babies and young children
- Do not tie cords or chains together. Make sure cords or chains do not twist and create a loop
- Do not put other furniture near to a window blind as children love to climb
INTRODUCING SCION - DESIGNER FABRIC & WALLPAPERS
Abbey Blinds & Curtains is proud to present Scion, Harliquin's refreshing new sister brand which is set to have a huge impact on the world of interior design.
Scion was conceived to fill an obvious gap in the market for an affordable yet uncompromisingly stylish range of interior products. The brand has been created with a trend savvy, fashion aware customer in mind, its products are cutting-edge, accessibly priced and forward looking, but with an enduring appeal and intrinsic individuality.
We now have in store the sample books for the debut collection, Melinki, which comprises of an eclectic mix of printed fabrics, embroideries, jacquards, co-ordinating plains and complementary wallpapers, inspired in part by mid-century archive documents. Refreshingly uncomplicated yet powerfully effective, Melinki consciously channels fashion motifs and colours, as well as offering more than a passing nod to modern, Scandinavian design.
Melinki bestows the freedom to create a diverse range of moods and looks through its eclectic designs and cool clean colour groups including costal calm, retro kitsch, Bakelite brights and urban neutrals.
Like us Scion is justifiably proud of its British roots: its printed fabrics and wall coverings are all manufactured in the UK, by factories that have clear commitments and initiative towards the care of the environment and to sustainability